Announcing the release of Genome Wowser v2.0, now available in the iTunes store!
Version 2 supports ALL genomes available at UCSC, including:
- All builds of the human genome
- Pufferfish (2 species)
- Fruitfly (11 species)
- C. elegans
…and 40 more species
Other new features include:
- Users can define custom UCSC mirror sites
- Customizable track parameters
- Session IDs are exposed for portability to web browsers
About Genome Wowser
Genome Wowser provides a functional presentation of the popular UCSC Genome Browser that is intuitive, highly portable, and allows a “Google Maps”-like navigation experience. Users can view genomic annotation tracks, zoom in, out, and across a chromosome, search for genomic elements, and download displayed data of interest.Developed by the Center for Biomedical Informatics (CBMi) at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, the application is a customized mobile interface of the Genome Browser compiled by the Genome Bioinformatics Group, a cross-departmental team within the Center for Biomolecular Science and Engineering at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC).
- Standard whole genome assembly as provided by the Genome Reference Consortium.
- Comprehensive standard annotations as compiled by the UCSC Genome Bioinformatics Group via their numerous collaborations with annotators worldwide.
- Multiple annotation tracks: select the tracks you want to see and view them concurrently in an intuitive stacked configuration for any chromosome section.
- Pinch-and-spread zoom capability.
- Drag-and-swipe navigation.
To download the Genome Wowser free of charge, visit the app’s iTunes page at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/genome-wowser/id437044318?mt=8 or search for “Genome Wowser” in the iTunes store.
This application is one example of the many ways in which CBMi helps to transform clinical care and research at our institution and across the industry.